Temporary Income Support Announced
The federal government has announced temporary income support for workers and parents without paid sick leave as well as longer-term income support for workers. Low- and modest-income families which may require additional financial help may apply for a one-time special payment through a GST credit. Families with children will be eligible for increased Canada Child Benefit payment amounts. For more information on these federal measures:
- Canada Revenue Agency Accounts and Payments (individuals); 1-800-959-8281 (e); 1-800-959-7383 (f).
- Canada Revenue Agency Accounts and Payments (business); 1-800-959-5525 (e); 1-800-959-7775 (f).
- Child Benefit and GST credit; 1-800-387-1193 (e); 1-800-387-1194 (f).
- Employment Insurance: To apply for EI benefits, visit their website. After that, individuals may apply to have the one-week waiting period waived by calling the government's toll-free number at 1-833-381-2725, or teletypewriter at 1-800-529-3742.
- Emergency Care benefit and Emergency support benefit: Both benefit plans will be open for application in April, through the Canada Revenue Agency website.
- Export Development Canada general line 1-800-229-0575.
- Business Development Bank of Canada general line 1-877-232-2269.