video The Town of Oromocto is pleased to share with you its feature from the "Insights with Terry Bradshaw" television program.

Homeowners to Receive Extra Help for Flood Clean-up

  • 2019-05-01

01 May 2019
FREDERICTON (GNB) – Residents undertaking recovery activities following major flooding will receive help from the provincial government.
Flood debris pickup in affected areas is being planned, tipping fees for non-hazardous materials are being waived at some landfills, free water testing kits are being provided and fees are being waived for certain building permits and Watercourse and Wetland Alteration permits.
Once water recedes sufficiently, residents for affected local service districts will be provided with instructions on roadside debris pickup. Flood debris includes appliances (remove doors and covers for safety), furniture, carpeting, insulation, paper products, and construction debris.
Municipalities will communicate details about debris pickup within their boundaries.
Beginning today, residents may dispose of non-hazardous items at no charge at the following locations: Crane Mountain landfill, Fredericton Region Solid Waste and Regional Service Commission 8.
Regular household hazardous waste generated by the flood can also be disposed of at these facilities. People should inform staff at the gate that they are disposing of flood-damaged items.
The provincial government is providing free bacterial testing of water for the owners of private wells who have been directly affected by recent flooding. Water sampling kits can be picked up at designated Service New Brunswick centres in Fredericton, Burton, Chipman, Sussex, Hampton and Saint John, at the Research and Productivity Council or through Health and Safety teams beginning May 7. Water samples will be sent to the Research and Productivity Council laboratory for testing and results will be made available to the owners of the private wells.
Flooding occurred at various locations and at different times. Owners of private wells must wait 10 days after floodwaters have receded from their well before beginning the chlorination and sampling process. More information about well safety is available online.
Residents concerned about the safety of their well water should contact the nearest regional office of the Department of Environment and Local Government for further information.
Fees for permits will be waived for residents of local service districts who require a development and building permit, and for all residents who may require a Watercourse and Wetland Alteration (WAWA) permit for work within 30 metres of a watercourse or wetland affected by the flood. Applications for a WAWA permit can be made online.
Development and building permits are required for building, locating, relocating, demolishing, altering or replacing a building or structure in an unincorporated area. The permit will trigger an inspection to ensure that the structure is built to the National Building Code.
Development and building permit application forms are available from the Regional Service Commission responsible for the area where construction will take place. Residents of municipalities should contact their respective building permit authority.
NB Power update
NB Power crews will work closely with the province’s Technical Inspection Services to reconnect customers who had their electrical services disconnected during the flood in the weeks ahead.
NB Power fees for reconnection are waived in disaster situations.
Residents are asked to report damages
Residents affected by flooding are urged to report damage by calling 1-888-298-8555 or by registering online.
The Damage Report Line program allows residents, tenants, small businesses and not-for-profit organizations to receive information and register their flood-related damage.
The New Brunswick Damage Report line is available to receive calls between 8 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday, and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays.

December 12 2024

Regular Session of Council

+Submit an Event >View Event Calendar