The bear sightings continue in and around Oromocto West. Residents are advised to exercise caution and to not approach the bear(s). This morning it was reported a bear was on Doyle Drive, then Craig Street and later reported around Anniversary Park. The Town will be posting a sign at the entrance to Carpenter Drive/Black Watch Avenue to warn the residents in the area. Please help by sharing this information with your neighbours.
The District Ranger's office has been contacted and are actively involved.
The office advises that all external food sources must be removed in order to deter the bear(s) from returning. The following tips are offered to minimize the chances of attracting bears:
1) store garbage in containers with tight-fitting lids;
2) put garbage out only on the morning of pickup;
3) put bird feeders away as seeds, suet and nectar attract bears;
4) pick any fruits and berries as they ripen; don't let them rot on the ground; and
5) clean outdoor barbeque grills after each use, including the grease traps underneath.
If residents see a bear, do not approach it, you may report it to (506) 444-4888. If a bear is imposing an immediate threat or is exhibiting threatening or aggressive behaviour, call 911.
4 Doyle Drive, Oromocto NB E2V 2V3